Monday, February 6, 2012

Design Wall Monday


Well, the UFOs are beginning to stack up.  Two weeks ago, I began to prepare projects to take on a 4 day Quilt Retreat.  While rooting through boxes, baskets and bags looking for the missing fabrics I needed to complete several projects, I came across several more UFOs.  I have now run out of hangers to hang quilt tops on . . . it's getting pretty ugly.  I ended up taking 11 projects with me and completed 7 of them, so I am excited!  I am going to be burning up my longarm quilting these 7 tops! 
I finished the quilt top on the left for myself.  Both of my daughters saw it and said they'd like one too, went back to look at what fabric I had left and I have enough to make 3 more if I purchase some more background.  So guess what's on my Design Frame today?  I saw this quilt on Ruthie's blog a couple of years ago before leaving on a trip to Hawaii.  I printed a picture of her finished quilt and took it with me while fabric shopping in Hawaii.  It turned ugly as I purchased so much fabric that I had to add another duffel bag to our luggage . . .

Here is another project I took on Retreat with me.  It's an Alphabet quilt and the blocks are from an online swap.  I had to re-piece a couple of the paper pieced blocks, sash all the blocks and then I found the pencil fabric I used in the border at an Amish Quilt Shop. 

Two of the 11 projects I took with me I thought would only take less than an hour to complete, like the finished quilt top that had and upside down block - - it took me 3 hours to fix that one.  The other one had two rows sewn on upside down - that took an extraordinary amount of time too, but I got it done.  I was beginning to feel that I wasn't going to have much to show, but by the time we left late Monday afternoon, I had 7 projects that are now ready to be quilted!  Usually after Quilt Retreat I don't unpack my machine for a week or two, but this time, I unpacked it as soon as I got home and continued working!  

Check out what others have on their Design Walls at Patchwork Times.

7 comments:

Joanne said...

WooHoo! I think we pushed each other pretty well. Donna left with all but one block done and she's a happy camper too.

marcella said...

Wow! You finished 7! That's awesome. Your hawaiian fabric top is great I can see why your daughters wanted ones to match. See, all that extra fabric was really needed :-) Have fun with the machine quilting!

Cathy Tomm said...

Love the Hawaii quilt. I have about 20 fat quarters for a quilt. I may consider that kind of idea. Thanks for sharing.

Teresa in Music City said...

Good for you! Sounds like your retreat was very productive! Hope you had as much fun as you did sewing? I love your quilt! My weakness is patterns that show off really beautiful fabrics, and your quilt has some amazing fabrics in it!

kwiltnkats said...

7 out of 11 projects is fabulous. Your long arm over heating yet WINK! As many things as I've got going now a retreat would be perfect right about now.

carol fun said...

Both of these are wonderful! I have a real soft spot for anything with an alphabet and I love how you showcased a big scale print on the other quilt - a Terry Atkinson's design if I remember correctly. I need to go find this pattern as this gives me a great idea for another quilt - oh no - here I go again. Congrats on all the projects you finished - great work!

Turtles In Northern Florida said...

Wow! busy girl! I love that first pic. i have that pattern and cant wait to do it :)